Essentially, Montana’s medical marijuana industry has been totally upended.
The reason for this is that providers can only have 3 clients.
Providers are those selling medical marijuana to clients that have a medical marijuana card from the state.
If you remember my profile of the Montana medical marijuana industry, there were over 8,000 medical marijuana patients in Montana.
They were getting their pot from 322 different providers.
Here’s how that breaks down:
So as you can see, 206 providers will have to go out of business now.
Well, that’s not quite true. The exact opposite of shutting down could occur if the current 322 providers turns into 2,722 providers.
That’s how many you’d need in order to cater to the 8,168 patients that Montana has, or at least had 2 years ago.
The point is, this is a huge shift…mainly because so many providers were selling pot to more than just 3 people.
The Supreme Court in Montana has in essence killed the medical marijuana business.
What will patients do?
One of the first things is go out and buy as much pot as they can now, legally.
After all, pretty soon they have to start getting it somewhere besides their current provider…unless that provider is nice enough to let them be one of the 3 customers it can have.
Still, I don’t know many businesses that can survive on just 3 customers.
That’s why the medical marijuana industry in Montana has been killed today.
So after patients buy all the pot they can and the state gets around to ensuring providers only sell to 3 people, patients are in a pickle.
- On the one hand they can stop smoking pot.
- On the other they can just go back to the black market like they did before 2004.
- On the other other hand they can drive to Joe’s 420 RX, which is 190 miles to the east of Missoula, about a 3-hour drive.
Hmm, it could be that Joe’s 420 is just for medical cardholders in Washington.
- In that case I’d recommend Spokane Green Leaf. Wow – ounces for $100?!?
- Green Store Cannabis is another you’ll want to check out, with eighths starting at $35.
- Royal’s Cannabis has deals everyday of the week. I’m sure the 10% off quarters Wednesdays will appeal to many in Montana.
- Cannabis and Glass might fulfill two of your needs, and with ounces going for $125 I think you’ll agree.
Point is – what the hell do we need medical marijuana for in Montana anyways?
Hell, with ounces at local pot shops going for $180, the Montana Supreme Court may have just given smokers a wondrous deal!
Well, there is the gas to Spokane, so I guess we’re about where we were.
And let’s face it – come initiative and signature-gathering time, we’ll get pot on the ballot for November.
Ain’t no one gonna stop that from passin’, including a used car salesman in Billings.
So if you’re feeling glum about this Montana ruling on medical marijuana today – don’t.
The writing is on the wall and marijuana will be legal. Hell, if you keep up the pressure on Hillary she might say so during the campaign!
Either way, with legal pot for everyone over 21-years of age just a couple hours away, we see how old, antiquated, and obsolete our system is in Montana.
Happens to us a lot, doesn’t it?