Break out those pens and head to the calendar – we’ve got another march!
Yep, it’s another Women’s March…like we saw last January.
Last year it happened on January 21 and this year it’ll be on January 20.
Last year we saw anywhere from 3.2 million to 5.2 million people march across the country. In the District of Criminals alone, upwards of 500,000 people showed up.
It’s been reported that 408 marches took place in the US.
The point of the marches was to “send a bold message to our new administration.”
What that message was…I’m not sure.
I’m not sure what the message will be next Saturday, either. In fact, I’m not sure what these marches accomplished last year and I’m not sure what they hope to accomplish this year.
So far, the Women’s March for Missoula lists 343 people as going and another 568 as interested.
So let’s just say that 1,000 people show up next week.
It's a lot more than the 80 people that showed up for the Missoula march last year (just 13 went to the one in Bozeman).
Still, a thousand people would only represent 1.3% of the 72,364 people living in Missoula.
Yep, that’s how many people care about the Women’s March – 1% of the population.
Usually Dems are falling all over themselves to tell us how bad the 1% of the population is, how good the other 99% is.
I guess in this instance, that kind of logic doesn’t apply.
I wish all those women luck next week. I hope they can get out there and feel good about themselves.
But honestly…if you want to see any kind of real change, you need to vote.
Showing up on a cold day in January ain’t gonna cut it. You’ve got to show up on a cold day in November, at the ballot box, and you have to convince a shit ton of others to do the same.
It’s more than that, though. You have to convince a shit ton of people in the right areas.
More people might have voted for Hillary in 2016 than for Trump, but in our system, that doesn’t matter.
That’s kind of the thing with the Women’s March – they might have hundreds of them across the country, but they’re mostly in the big cities…areas that voted Dem and are going to vote Dem again.
Here in Montana last year, the marches happened in Bozeman, Helena, and Missoula.
In the areas where Dems actually need the votes, there won’t be any Women’s Marches.
Don’t point any of this out to Women Marchers. They don’t want to hear it. They don’t want it pointed out that 99% of the population doesn’t care about them or their message.
I’m sure there are some that might have an open ear for this kind of talk, listening and nodding and asking how they can in fact get people to care about them and their message.
It’s just that most will call you a troll or sexist or racist or whatever epithet is convenient and ready-at-hand.
Looking in the mirror and asking themselves the tough questions, however…well, that’s not as easy as putting on a pink “pussy” hat and holding up some signs and gathering together with like-minded people.
Expect to hear a lot more about the upcoming Women’s Marches over the next few days.
Just don’t expect the marches to result in any kind of meaningful changes in your life, or in the policies of our country.