I used my Visit Montana guide to find these. Online, the information isn’t always up-to-date.
Some events might not even take place this year, especially some snow events that might be hit by the changing climate.
Also, signatures have to be in by June 17.
Here’s a map that shows you the regions I’ll be referencing.
Opportunities for signature gathering in Montana include:
- Rendezvous Days in Eureka: This April 24-25 (2015 dates) crafts show with a parade, vendors, mountain man camp, shooting activities, flea market, and more.
- Bigfork Whitewater Festival: This May 28-29 kayaking event on the “Wild Mile” of the Swan River. Festivities all weekend.
- St. Patrick’s Day in Butte: This event will be great for signatures.
- Race for the Cure in Helena: This event was held on May 16 last year and it'll probably be around then this year. It's a great place to get signatures from people concerned about healthcare.
- The Governor's Cup in Helena: This huge racing event is June 11 this year, so it'll be cutting it close. Still, if the need is there, this is a great spot. And why not really go over the top as well, getting more than what's required? It sends a message.
- The Russell in Great Falls: This March 17-19 event is on a weekend and consists of an art auction to benefit the C.M. Russell Museum. Might get a few signatures here, but with the older, wealthier attendees, it could be a bust.
- Ice Breaker Road Race in Great Falls: This April 24 event gets about 3,500 people because Runner’s World named it a Top 100 road race in all of America. This should be a great event for signatures, especially near the finish line.
- Mannequin Jumping in Neihart: This April 3 (?) event is a ski jumping contest that’s got mannequins flying off ski jumps. It’s fun, people are having fun, and they’ll be up for fun. That means they’ll be happy to sign your form.
- Annual Lewis and Clark Festival in Great Falls: This June event takes place over a weekend and will have tons of people. Sorry, this event is past the June 17 deadline.
- Rendezvous Cross Country Ski Race in West Yellowstone: This March 5 event will have more than 600 skiers. You know many will be willing to sign, as well as all those that are hanging around the event.
- Run to the Pub in Bozeman: This March 12 event is all about running and drinking beer. You know this is the crowd that will be happy to sign your petition. I hear thousands attend.
- National Finals Ski Joring Races in Red Lodge: This March event is horse-pulled skiing with four jumps as well. Should be fun and have people willing to sign. Sorry, no races in 2016.
- Montana Snowmobile Expo in West Yellowstone: This event is also in March, held from the 10 to 13. It primarily caters to a wealthier crowd looking to buy snowmobiles. Might be a bust.
- Terrain Park Jam Snowboard Event in Bozeman: This March event is at Bridger Bowl and will have lots of people eager to sign.
- The Pond Skim in Big Sky: This April 16 event has people skiing into ponds. Boy, that sounds like the kind of person that’d sign a marijuana legalization petition.
Missouri River Country
- Schmeckfest in Lustre: This March 18 Germanfest event is hosted by a Christian high school. Yeah, pretty conservative but there are booths and vendors and lots of people. Surely some will sign.
- Fort Union Rendezvous in Sidney: This June 17-18 event will have lots of arts and crafts and historical presentations. Should be lots of potential signers. Sorry, this is past the June 17 deadline.
- Montana Dinosaur Festival in Malta: This June 3-4 event (2011 dates) is geared toward kids but you know there will be parents and some will likely sign.
- Pioneer Days in Scobey: This June 24-26 event focuses on old cars and older buildings. I suspect many of the attendees will be old as well, so this might be a bust. Sorry, past the June 17 deadline.
- Red Bottom Celebration in Frazer: This June 17-20 Native American event had dancing and food and crafts and lots of people. Could be a good spot. Sorry, past the June 17 deadline.
- Bucking Horse Sale in Miles City: This May 19-22 event caters to cowboys and ranchers and a more conservative bent. That doesn’t mean you can’t nab a few signatures, however.
- Buzzard Day in Glendive: This June 11 event consists of some races and vendors. There will be people so it might be one to think about.
- Little Bighorn Days in Hardin: This June 25-28 event will have lots of dancing and costumes and awards for arts and crafts. Lots of people that could be willing to sign. Sorry, past the June 17 deadline.
Those are all places that you can gather signatures in a timely and effective manner.
Good luck – you can do it!