That’s what Joe Konrath’s site is, and if you’re an up-and-coming author I’d advise you to do what I’m doing – stop wasting time there.
Honestly, I don’t even read the drivel that comes from this man anymore. Oh sure, I was once entertained by it, perhaps amused, maybe even a little perplexed. Since then, however, I’ve come to realize here’s just an angry old man shouting to the winds or just about anyone that’ll listen. Well, I’m not listening anymore.
Think I’m full of it? Well, let’s look at these articles from the last couple months and see how they help you.
- The Hatchett Job – Incessent complaining about a traditional publishing company I could care less about.
- I Understand and Sympathize – A sort of apology post for angry rants.
- Konrath vs. Colbert – Does anyone give a fuck?
- #JamesPattersonSTS – So many low-on-the-totem-pole authors hate James Patterson. I try to learn from him.
- James Patterson BEA Fail – More shouting at rocks.
- Amazon Speaks – Another reason to complain about nothing.
- Fisking Charlie Stross – More on Hachette/Amazon, and analysis of something I don’t care about.
Alright, that’s just the first page of shit this site has. As you can see, there’s not a whole lot of value to you, an up-and-coming author, unless you don’t know how to be angry, how to complain, or generally how to waste time.
Trust me, if you’re reading my shit, you know how to do all of those things already.
If you want to learn those things, Joe Konrath’s site is your best bet. If you want to put more novels out on Amazon, increase your sales, and get more long-term visibility, Joe Konrath can’t help you for shit.
That wasn’t always the case. Back in the day this site used to be good. Here are some article titles from just the month of…well, I was going to do last June, but it’s just a bunch of guest posts and promo shit.
How about November and December, 2009! Yeah, we’ve got to go way back to find anything of use on this site, like these articles:
- What I Know;
- Resolutions for Writers 2010;
- Promotion, Social Networks, and Going Viral;
- Email Answers;
- JA Konrath’s 2010 Ebook Predictions;
- You Artist;
- Unearth the Nook;
As you can see, there are some good things here. Well, they’re terribly dated, but maybe they still have some ideas.
See, that’s why I got to sites, to get some new ideas on what I’m doing so I can do it better. In this case it’s writing books for Amazon, but lately, there’s nothing on this site that will help me.
So Joe Konrath’s blog is going right in the shitter, although I think it did that long ago.