What do your characters do for fun, and perhaps more importantly, what do people in your world do for fun when the day’s all done? Yeah, the NPCs if you will…what do they look for in thrills?
- Are there large arenas where gladiators fight and gambling takes place backstage, both small-scale and large depending on the rage?
- Is there an area where animals rip people or even small children apart, perhaps as entertainment for rich people, or poor?
- How about a carnival, one that comes to town every few seasons or years, carrying with it news of the outside world?
- What about contests of strength and skill, the kind that have archery or wrestling or even pie-eating?
- Could it be that your fantasy world is one in which the stakes are especially high, and the gauntlet is run and run often?
- Or are those stakes low, and consist more with digging things up and out of the ground, perhaps for dissection purposes, or even clandestine classes upon such?
- I’d bet that you have a world in which unicorn hunts go on, and the horns are prized above all else, especially as the supply dwindles, or am I wrong?
- If I am, would you perchance think upon a world of tamed dragons, and brave men that stick their heads in chained mouths for seconds at a time, the rewards are so great?
- If that’s a bit much, then think about the rivers, and the races upon them, or the mocking of the beasts and spirits that live within and around them.
As you can see, there are many entertaining things to do with glee, it just depends on your proclivities. Some authors will balk at such fancy fare, while others will set to it with whimsy and dare. It’s what makes fantasy fiction so fantastical, no, and I’ll be you’re getting pretty eager to go. So go and write up those chapters and fill them with characters both bold and fun, but don’t forget you have a story to tell, one that has to get done.