I like this question, and I like dates…and both are great for making a timeline.
See, lately I’ve been reading a good book called Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock.
I’ve been keeping track of those dates on a sheet of paper, and 150 pages into the book, I have some good stuff. Supplementing it with some information from Carl Sagan’s Cosmos and my own history book on Ancient China, and this is what I’ve come up with:
- 13.5 billion years ago: The Universe forms
- 11 billion years ago: The Milky Way Galaxy Forms
- 4.5 billion years ago: Our Sun Forms
- 3.5 billion years ago: Life on Earth Starts
- 3.1 billion years ago: First Supercontinent of Vaalbara Forms
- 2.7 billion years ago: Supercontinent Kenorland Forms
- 2.5 billion years ago: Arctica Supercontinent Forms
- 2 billion years ago: Columbia Supercontinent Forms
- 1.1 billion years ago: Rodinia Supercontinent Forms
- 600 million years ago: Pannotia Supercontinent Forms
- 510 million years ago: Gondwana Supercontinent Forms
- 450 million years ago: End-Ordovician Extinction (Gondwana Moved Too Far South)
- 375 million years ago: Late Devonian Extinction (Cause Unknown)
- 300 million years ago: Fossil Fuel Deposits Form
- 250 million years ago: Permian Extinction (Siberian Volcano Erupted)
- 201 million years ago: Triassic-Jurassic Extinction (Asteroid Likely)
- 100 million years ago: The Dinosaurs Roamed
- 66 million years ago: Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction (Asteroid Likely, Killed the Dinosaurs)
- 3.5 million years ago: People Walk, Begin Looking Up
- 1.8 million years ago: People Begin Moving Out of Africa
- 1.7 million years ago: Yuanmou Man Walked China
- 780,000 years ago: Peking Man Walked China
- 100,000 years ago: Accepted Date for Moving Out of Africa
- 60,000 years ago: Humans Reach Indian Ocean Areas
- 43,000 years ago: Siberia is Settled
- 40,000 years ago: Asia is Settled
- 40,000 years ago: Culture Starts
- 30,000 years ago: Cave Paintings Start
- 15,000 years ago: Tiahuanaco Constructed
- 13,000 years ago: Antarctica Civilization May Have Started/Been Going
- 10,500 years ago: Atlantis Destroyed
- 10,500 years ago: Hall of Records May Have Been Sealed
- 10,000 years ago: Ice Caps Melt, Sea Levels Rise
- 10,000 years ago: Agriculture & Sedentary Societies
- 9000 BC: Holocene Climate Optimum Begins
- 6500 BC: Cholula Pyramid south of Mexico destroyed by lava
- 5000 BC: Holocene Climate Optimum Ends
- 5000 BC: Copper Age Begins
- 6,000 years ago: Writing Starts
- 4000 BC: Machu Pichu Built
- 3400 BC: Egypt Jumps from Neolithic Culture to Monarchy
- 3250 BC: Very High Levels of Methane in Antarctica
- 3200 BC: Piora Oscillation Begins
- 3000 BC: Bronze Age Begins
- 13 August 3114 BC: Olmecs Start Mayan Calendar
- 2580 BC: Great Pyramid of Giza Constructed
- 2558 BC: Great Sphinx of Giza Constructed
- 2400 BC: Stonehenge Built
- 1400 BC: The Chinese begin Recording Comet Sightings
- 1532 AD: Spanish Conquer South America
- 1761: Chronometer Invented to Find Longitude
- 1818: Antarctica Officially Discovered
- What do we make of these huge lapses of time? How come we have proof that man was walking in Asia 1.7 million years ago…but some still claim we didn’t leave Africa until just 100,000 years ago…a difference of 1.6 million years?
- What happened during those 1.6 million years? I think what happened was flourishing levels of human culture and civilization, which may have been wiped out before…either through natural means or from their own hand.
Wow, what an idea, huh? But really, how do you explain writing at Tiahuanaco 8,000 years before humans learned how to write? How about advanced mathematics hundreds of years before writing came around?
When you start looking at things like that, you really have to ask questions. I hope you’re asking them, and you can do that by reading interesting books. But the most interesting thing, to me at least, are the gaps:
- There’s 6.5 billion years from our galaxy to our sun.
- We’ve got 900 million years between some supercontinents.
- Another 62.5 million years between dinosaurs and people.
- There’s 1.7 million years from when people walk to when they leave Africa.
- There’s 3.4 million years between people walking and the accepted date for leaving Africa.
- We have 20,000 years between cave paintings and the start of culture.
- The Hall of Records is located in the right paw of the Great Spinx, but it was sealed nearly 8,000 years before we think the Sphinx was actually built.
Folks, people in the past weren’t stupid. We often like to think people just 100 years ago were dumber than us, but it’s likely the other way around. What if people were around a lot earlier than we thought, and what if they were a lot more advanced than we thought? That’d be pretty revolutionary, huh?
Thanks for reading.