It’s a fair question – why are Montana Democrats idiots? Maybe they’re just like ostriches – more inclined to put their head in the sand so they can block out anything they’d rather not look at.
One thing they don’t want to look at is the Hi-Line and Eastern Montana, two areas they’re quick to say they’ll take but much slower with when it comes to saying how.
- Knocking on doors? How many doors will be negated by poor immigration policies down at the Texas border?
- Sending out flyers? How many flyers will be tossed because of Democratic insistence at pushing abortion above all other issues?
- Going to events? How many events will be derailed by angry citizens arguing over climate change and Democrats continually standing in the way of business?
- Having a debate? How are you going to debate the issues when the audience has already made up its mind its voting Republican because the Democrats are a raving bunch of loons?
Did I mention I’m a Democrat? Yeah, not the kind that anyone likes…you know the one that asks questions, challenges my own party, and generally pisses everyone off.
Thank God we have people like that! I wish there were more, because then instead of just putting out ideas we might actually have some concrete steps and action plans to back them up.
So how are you going to get that Hi-Line and Eastern Montana? Here are 5 ideas:
- Alienate Your Base: Start pissing off the abortion women and the gay rights folks. Those issues do not win in those areas of the state and the percentage of the population identifying with those issues personally is so small that it’s not important. I don’t care if the person from Sydney said abortion is wrong or gay rights are nonsense because I know when the time comes in Helena he’ll vote for it…he’s Democrat.
- Insult a Lot: Call the other candidates names, but call the “other” names more. This is the voters that are voting for your opponent, no matter what. The people voting for you no matter what know that those folks are idiots…so call them as such and worse, just not to their face. This is rhetoric, and it takes a lot of work.
- Get Your Hands Dirty: Muck out some stables, clean shit off shoes, dig a hole, clean out a ditch or bale some hay. And for the love of God get some pictures of it with the sun in different positions.
- Call Washington What It Is…Evil: Politicians taking money from corporations are in pacts with the devil and Lucifer is sitting on the board of many Wall Street firms. Tell this to people in Montana and tell it to them often. People with stock in those Wall Street firms know this already.
- Use Age to Your Advantage: Montana is going to have the 4th oldest population in the country by 2030 and this scares a lot of people here, especially those older folks with ranches that their kids may or may not take over. Use this fear to win.
Those are some ideas that Democrats could begin using right now, today. Of course I have a feeling many won’t, and that’s a shame. There’s no one helping you guys up there near Havre and Glendive or out in the Eastern Bakken region around Custer and…hell, I don’t even know all the towns out that way.
Lots of things separate people in this state, but there’s a lot that brings them together. I know that Democrats could win that legislature if they wanted to, the problem is they don’t want to.