Why would I say such a thing? Why, simple – because McDermott instructed all of his staff not to talk to the media about the sheriff’s race.
Yep, gag orders. Are we living in communist China?
Remember, I lived in that country for five years, and we’d see things like this, where people couldn’t talk. It was fine – people had no right to talk, especially about the government, corrupt businessmen, or environmental disasters.
When I moved back to America last summer I thought a lot of that nonsense was behind me. Seems I was wrong.
Missoula Democrats are Running Amok
When I got back to Montana in 2013 I found that things weren’t really like that anymore.
- First, the legislature cannot do anything anymore.
- Next, the relationship between the legislature and the governor seems to be toxic.
- Finally, counties are doing some awfully strange things.
What’s perhaps most alarming, however, are how far Democrats have strayed from their roots. It used to be that sensible Democrats in this state were conservative economically. That’s no longer the case. Nowhere is this more true than in Missoula, the Berkeley of the North.
This corruption of the party is not being led by a statewide official, but by a local mayor, John Engen, one that used to be a reporter for the Missoulian, a newspaper which has now been bought up by out of state interests and has no concern for the people of Montana other than making as much money from them as possible.
Engen must have learned well from these new media overlords, for whenever given the chance, “Mayor McCheese” as he’s often called, will do everything in his power to raise taxes. And what is this money for?
- A lawsuit to try and force the Carlyle Group into selling a water company at a 50% or greater loss;
- Support for a county attorney suing the Justice Department to try and stop the enforcement of rape crimes and reporting;
- Putting short-term personal gain over the long-term welfare of the city, county, and state.
These are all things that Mayor Engen is doing, and he’s one of the biggest supporters of T.J. McDermott for sheriff, you know, the guy that doesn’t want you to follow your constitutional rights to speak your mind. What other rights of mine will he violate as my sheriff?
Voting for McDermott would therefore be a huge mistake. The Democratic political machine in Missoula is out of control, and frankly, it makes me sick.
The Political Machine in Missoula is Broken
- If the community were not pissing money away like a drunken sailor they wouldn’t need to raise taxes;
- If they were creating jobs instead of scaring them away it’d be the same story;
- And if they’d just start living within their means instead of sucking off the people they might find citizens don’t hate them so much.
Democrats in Missoula have lost their way, big time. I’m glad no major Democrats here support me. I don’t know, maybe I’m not a Democrat. But then I guess you’d have to say my grandpa Robert Hockett who served in SD-15 back in 1990 wouldn’t be a Democrat either.
After all, back then Democrats worked with Republicans, sought ways to save money rather than spending it, and did everything in their power to find sources of revenue other than taxes.
That’s what it means to be a Democrat in Montana and I’m sorry that the people of Missoula have forgotten that.